105 Million Hours. More than 10,000 Years. 10+ millennia. However you measure it, this year’s Watchathon was our biggest ever, exceeding hours watched during last year’s event by 36 percent. Those numbers weren’t the only impressive result from our 6th annual binge-fest, however:
- Watchathon Week now holds the record for 2018 for new downloads of the Xfinity Stream app in one week, averaging about 14 downloads per minute and up approximately 20% from the week prior. This year, for the first time, Internet-only customers also had the ability to enjoy an exciting subset of Watchathon Week content via the app and portal.
- HBO’s Game of Thrones topped the list of the most-watched TV series across broadcast, cable and premium networks for the week, followed by ABC’s Roseanne, SHOWTIME’s Homeland and Billions, and HBO’s Westworld.
- Netflix, streamed over the internet on X1, returned for its second Watchathon and The Crown, Stranger Things, Lost in Space, Orange is the New Black, and Grace and Frankie were some of its most-watched original series during the week.
- Shows like MTV’s Jersey Shore: Family Vacation, The Walking Dead available on AMC and AMC Premiere, and VH1’s Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta seemed to be more popular on devices, appearing within the top 5 broadcast, cable, and premium shows on the Xfinity Stream app and portal.
- Of the more than two dozen subscription video on demand services that joined Watchathon this year, Acorn TV, AMC Premiere, FX+, Lifetime Movie Club, Stingray Karaoke, Streampix, and UP Faith and Family were among the most-viewed of the week.
- Xfinity customers in Boston watched more than any other city during Watchathon Week, with Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle and Philadelphia following closely behind.
This year’s Watchathon had something for everyone including pets - and we’re thrilled to once again be able to offer customers the ability to sample and explore the best programming from dozens of traditional networks and studios, streaming services, and emerging SVODs - all aggregated together on the best screen in the home.