Move Over Bells: Comcast Corporation Becomes The Fourth-Largest Phone Service Provider In The U.S.
Las Vegas, NV
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSK, CMCSA), the nation's leading provider of entertainment, information and communications, today announced it has become the fourth-largest residential phone service provider in the United States.
The announcement comes less than three years after having officially launched Comcast Digital Voice®, an innovative alternative to the plain old telephone service traditionally offered by the Bells. Comcast Digital Voice is the first true home phone replacement service to deliver a seamless and converged communications experience across all of Comcast's services (including cable and high-speed Internet) and customers' devices.
"Comcast Digital Voice is the fastest-growing home phone service in the country and we're reinventing the way consumers think of home phone service in the process," said Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO of Comcast Corporation. "Our rapid rollout of advanced services like Comcast Digital Voice has enabled us to transform Comcast into the only company in the U.S. to offer integrated video, high-speed Internet and phone services to more than 40 million households."
This year Comcast will roll out a number of major enhancements to Comcast Digital Voice service that will be integrated with Comcast's video and high-speed Internet services, including:
• Universal Caller ID to the TV and PC - customers can view caller information while watching TV or using their computer.
• SmartZone™ Communications Center - a central online location where Comcast customers can use "viewable voicemail" to listen to calls or forward them like email, send and receive email and, in the future, remotely program their DVRs.
• Enhanced Cordless Telephone - that will enable home phone users to check email and voicemail, send instant messages and access a "universal" personal address book as well as a yellow pages directory.
In addition, Comcast Business Class Digital Voice is now widely available to small businesses.
Comcast Digital Voice is an award-winning* and reliable phone service that packs better features than traditional phone companies for a better price. Customers can save hundreds of dollars annually on home phone service from Comcast when compared to similar offers from the RBOCs. According to a recent study by Microeconomic Consulting and Research Associates (MiCRA), phone competition resulting from cable's entrance into residential and business marketplace will save consumers more than $100 billion over the next five years. Consumers have already saved $23.5 billion, including $13 billion in 2007 alone.
Comcast Digital Voice service includes:
• Unlimited local and domestic long distance direct-dial calling - including calls to Canada and Puerto Rico - with competitive international rates to more than 200 countries.
• 12 popular calling features plus enhanced voicemail - includes 3-way calling, call waiting and caller ID for no additional charge.
• Battery backup that lasts up to 8 hours during power outages.
• Compatibility with a majority of home alarm systems including industry-leaders ADT and Brink's.
• Ability to retain existing telephone numbers when switching from another provider.
• Professional installation.
*Winner of Frost & Sullivan's 2007 Customer Value Enhancement Award for IP Communications Services.
For a webcast of Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts' CES keynote address and for additional press information on Comcast announcements at CES, please visit www.comcast.com/ces.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) (http://www.comcast.com) is the nation's leading provider of entertainment, information and communications products and services. With 24.2 million cable customers, 12.9 million high-speed Internet customers, and 4.1 million voice customers, Comcast is principally involved in the development, management and operation of broadband cable systems and in the delivery of programming content.
Comcast's content networks and investments include E! Entertainment Television, Style Network, The Golf Channel, VERSUS, G4, AZN Television, PBS KIDS Sprout, TV One, ten regional Comcast SportsNets and Comcast Interactive Media, which develops and operates Comcast's Internet business. Comcast also has a majority ownership in Comcast-Spectacor, whose major holdings include the Philadelphia Flyers NHL hockey team, the Philadelphia 76ers NBA basketball team and two large multipurpose arenas in Philadelphia.