Comcast to Offer Consumers Broadband Internet Via HP PCs
In an effort to bring the power of broadband services to more consumers, Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) today announced a new program, available immediately, that enables HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario consumer desktop and notebook users to easily purchase Comcast High-Speed Internet. The program provides consumers with a simple broadband subscription process supported by the reliability and experience of two market leaders.
Upon purchasing and setting up an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario consumer desktop or notebook PC, customers can quickly and efficiently check for Comcast High-Speed Internet serviceability by using HP's high-speed Internet desktop icon or by visiting www.hp.com/go/highspeed.
Users can order a high-speed broadband connection, which is up to 50 times faster than a dial-up modem and enables consumers to get more from their PCs and the Internet - including streaming music and videos, transferring large files and enjoying video conferencing and online gaming. Comcast High-Speed Internet offers residential customers a cable-powered, blazingly fast Internet connection. The company is near completion in doubling all of its Comcast High-Speed Internet residential customers downstream speeds to 3Mbps, from 1.5Mbps, at no additional cost. Comcast provides 100 percent pure broadband Internet service in more than 34 U.S. states, and the company's Internet-ready network passes more than 33 million homes throughout the country.
"This marketing program pairing HP and Compaq desktop and notebook PCs and Comcast High-Speed Internet is a natural step in the effort to bring broadband connectivity to more people. Our goal is to be in front of customers wherever and whenever they might consider purchasing broadband Internet service," said Greg Butz, senior vice president of Marketing and Business Development for Comcast High-Speed Internet. "We're thrilled to work with a quality company such as HP and showcase to their customers the power of our high-speed Internet connections."
"HP is committed to making consumers' lives easier by providing the solutions and features they need to get the most out of their PCs and online entertainment," said John Romano, senior vice president, Consumer PC Organization, HP. "By teaming with Comcast, HP can offer our customers a quick and convenient way to purchase a broadband connection by providing them with a simple tool that takes the guesswork out of finding a broadband provider."
The number of U.S. high-speed cable Internet users continues to climb and today approximately 20 million people subscribe to a broadband service. Comcast is the nation's leading high-speed Internet provider with 4.86 million customers.
Upon signing up for Comcast High-Speed Internet, HP or Compaq desktop and notebook PC customers receive the following features:
- The Fan - A broadband multimedia player available exclusively on Comcast.net that dynamically features content from a variety of leading content providers such as Atom Films, E!, G4, TechTV and Planeta Networks, a leading Spanish-language online content provider. It presents rich graphics and video content in a unique kaleidoscope fashion that allows users to watch and save clips.
- The Assistant - A special broadband module available exclusively on Comcast.net that allows users to receive and personalize information such as local weather from The Weather Channel, sports information and scores, stock watch lists, horoscopes and top movies that enable users to search for local show times by ZIP code. The tool also features a Super Search function powered by Google. The Assistant can be attached or detached from the browser providing a small window to the broadband web from wherever the user may be on their computer whether playing a game, writing an email or listening to online music.
- Comcast Rhapsody - Provides subscribers with unlimited access to a vast library of music from all five major labels plus more than 200 independent music labels.
- E-Mail From Anywhere - Customers can retrieve their web-based e-mail remotely from anywhere they can access the Internet.
- Seven E-Mail Addresses - Families have no need to share an e-mail address with Comcast High-Speed Internet. The service provides each account with up to seven e-mail addresses that can all be checked remotely.
- Online File Storage - Customers can save their files remotely and access their documents through any Internet connection.
- Comcast Photo Center - In addition to the HP Instant Share online photo center included with every HP PC, Comcast High-Speed Internet also offers Snapfish, located on www.comcast.net, where customers can print, share and store professional-quality pictures online and manage their photo memories in a password-protected online account.
- Premier Broadband Customer Home Page at www.comcast.net - Customers have exclusive access to the services' customer destination site featuring news, weather, and stocks, plus, exclusive broadband content with streaming video and high-quality sound.
- Personal Web Pages - Creating, editing and posting a personal web page is easy with Comcast's Personal Web Page feature. Customers have access to design resources, graphics, sample sites and tutorials to make site creation fun.
- Round-The-Clock Customer Service - Dedicated Internet specialists are available online or by phone all day, every day.
- Member Services - Customers have easy access to account management tools, FAQs and trouble-shooting information to assist in managing their service.
Headquartered in Philadelphia, Comcast Cable is a division of Comcast Corporation, a developer, manager and operator of broadband cable networks and provider of programming content. Operating in 17 of the United States' 20 largest metropolitan areas, Comcast is one of the leading communications, media and entertainment companies in the world. Providing basic cable, Digital Cable, high-speed Internet and telephone services, Comcast is the company to look to first for the communications products and services that connect people to what's important in their lives. The company's 55,000 employees serve more than 21 million customers.