Comcast Honored As Top 10 Company for Its Work with Veteran-Owned Businesses
For the sixth consecutive year, Comcast Corporation, (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK), one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information and communications products and services, has been honored as one of the top 10 U.S. corporations for doing business with companies owned by military veterans. The National Veteran-Owned Business Association (NaVOBA) recognizes large corporations that most successfully engage the nation's three million veteran-owned businesses as suppliers.
"The Top 10 corporations that earn a spot on this exclusive list are the best in the U.S. at recognizing how well the military prepares business leaders through teaching leadership, teamwork, resolve, integrity and ingenuity," said NaVOBA President Chris Hale. "In a tough economy corporate America is eager to partner with business leaders who embody those intangibles along with exemplary skills and dedication. We're delighted to highlight and honor them."
In addition to including veteran-owned businesses in their supplier diversity initiatives, Comcast and NBCUniversal have been standing up for veterans for years, including them in their hiring practices and community investments, honoring them in their programming and valuing them as consultants and advisors. The two companies spent a combined $60 million with veteran-owned businesses in 2011 and have trained countless VOBs on how to do business with both companies over the past few years.
"We are once again proud to be recognized for our commitment to create opportunities for the veterans who have sacrificed so much for our country," said Peter Kiriacoulacos, Chief Procurement Officer, Comcast and NBCUniversal. "Our supplier diversity program is focused on creating equal access for all potential vendors. And in the case of veterans and their businesses, we believe it is our duty to help them be successful in civilian life. Both Comcast and NBCUniversal remain committed to that goal."
Last Month Comcast and NBCUniversal pledged to hire 1,000 U.S. veterans over the next three years as part of NBC News' "Hiring Our Heroes" initiative, in which the network has partnered with United States Chamber of Commerce to help get veterans back to work. The announcement by Comcast CEO Brian Roberts coincided with a nationwide hiring fair, "Hiring Our Heroes Today," that connected thousands of veterans and military family members with more than 100 prospective employers in person and online. Other veterans initiatives at Comcast and NBCUniversal include:
- Veteran representation on Comcast and NBCUniversal's Joint External Diversity Council, an external advisory group that counsels both companies on their diversity initiatives.
- A commitment by Comcast Spotlight, the advertising sales division of Comcast Cable, to air a "Hiring
- NBC News' yearlong series, "Making a Difference on the Homefront," that was announced last June. The monthly stories continue NBC News' efforts to shine a light on veterans, military families, and the issues affecting them across the country.
- Comcast's Xfinity TV service's lineup of special programming on Xfinity On Demand and XfinityTV.com that explores veteran lifestyles and touches specifically on their employment issues.
- Universal Orlando Resort's partnership with Wounded Warriors Family Support that provides assistance to the families of veterans and enlisted men and women that were wounded, injured or killed in action. Since January 2011, Universal Orlando has hosted more than 50 families at both of its theme parks and donated 230 complimentary tickets to the organization.
- Comcast's national sponsorship of the 2011 National Veterans Wheelchair Games last August in Pittsburgh.
Other Top 10 companies featured in this month's issue of NaVOBA's Vetrepreneur magazine include Booz Allen Hamilton; DynCorp International; Johnson & Johnson; Life Technologies; Lockheed Martin; Mack Trucks, Inc.; Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; Rockwell Collins, Inc.; and SAIC. The full list can be accessed here: http://www.navoba.com
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) (www.comcast.com) is one of the world's leading media, entertainment and communications companies. Comcast is principally involved in the operation of cable systems through Comcast Cable and in the development, production and distribution of entertainment, news, sports and other content for global audiences through NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential and business customers. Comcast is the majority owner and manager of NBCUniversal, which owns and operates entertainment and news cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, local television station groups, television production operations, a major motion picture company and theme parks.
About The National Veteran Owned Business Association (NaVOBA)
NaVOBA unites the nation's 3 million businesses owned by military veterans by providing a single voice to advocate for important issues. For more information visit us on the web at http://www.navoba.com, or follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/navoba and on Twitter @navoba.