Comcast and Tribeca Film Bring XFINITY TV Customers Special Access to 11th Annual Tribeca Film Festival
Starting April 17, Comcast's Xfinity TV and Tribeca Film will bring Xfinity TV customers access to the 11th Annual Tribeca Film Festival on Xfinity On Demand and XfinityTV.com. This across-screen offering includes three films available before they make their debut at the Tribeca Film Festival: Death of a Superhero, The Giant Mechanical Man and Sleepless Night; along with additional current and past Festival films and special behind-the-scenes extras.
"For our customers that aren't located in an area that has art houses or screenings of indie films, this is a great way to experience a world-class indie film festival like Tribeca," said Maggie McLean Suniewick, Vice President, Video Services, Comcast Cable. "Our Xfinity On Demand and XfinityTV.com platforms give filmmakers access to millions of homes that they may not have reached otherwise and we are committed to working with filmmakers and festivals to help broaden the distribution of these films and to bring the best festival experiences and indie films to our customers."
"Our goal is to bring the festival experience to audiences at home," said Geoff Gilmore, Chief Creative Officer of Tribeca Enterprises. "Through Comcast, Tribeca Film On Demand is able to help independent filmmakers find audiences for these exceptional films, and we are excited to once again offer a unique festival VOD experience."
Highlights from the 11th Annual Tribeca Film Festival on Xfinity On Demand and XfinityTV.com, and include:
- Death of a Superhero - Andy Serkis (The Hobbit, Rise of the Planet of the Apes) and Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Love Actually, Nowhere Boy) star in this exceptional and honest portrayal of a teenager struggling with his own mortality. Available on 4/17, ten days before the debut Festival screening, through 6/19.
- The Giant Mechanical Man - Charming romantic comedy that proves it only takes one person to give you a sense of belonging that can only come from falling in love. Starring Jenna Fischer (The Office), Chris Messina (Vicky Christina Barcelona) and Topher Grace (That 70's Show). Available on 4/17, six days before the debut Festival screening, through 6/19.
- Sleepless Night - An action thriller that follows a cop as he races through a packed nightclub, dodging drug dealers and his own potentially corrupt colleagues, in a mad chase to rescue his son from the crime kingpin he is in debt to. In French w/ English subtitles. Available on 4/17, five days before the debut Festival screening, through 6/19.
- Booker's Place: A Mississippi Story - Academy Award nominated filmmaker, Raymond De Felitta, explores life in 1960's Mississippi and the momentous impact of "Booker" Wright, a black man who voiced opinions on race relations on network TV, and the subsequent fallout. Available 4/26, four days after its debut Festival screening, through 6/27.
- Jesus Henry Christ - Toni Collette (The Sixth Sense, Little Miss Sunshine) and Michael Sheen (Midnight In Paris, Frost/Nixon) star in this quirky and hilarious story of a boy genius and the search for his biological father. A highlight from last year's Festival, available from 4/17 through 6/19.
In addition, Xfinity TV's Indie Film Club will also bring customers behind-the-scenes extras from many of the films above; as well as House of Steinbrenner, a film by two-time Oscar-winning filmmaker Barbara Kopple that explores the controversial legacy of George Steinbrenner; in addition to hundreds of indie films from top providers, editors' picks, live chats and newsletters.
About Comcast Cable
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) (www.comcast.com) is one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information and communications products and services. Comcast is principally involved in the operation of cable systems through Comcast Cable and in the development, production and distribution of entertainment, news, sports and other content for global audiences through NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential and business customers. Comcast is the majority owner and manager of NBCUniversal, which owns and operates entertainment and news cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, local television station groups, television production operations, a major motion picture company and theme parks.
About Tribeca Film
Tribeca Film is a comprehensive distribution initiative from Tribeca Enterprises dedicated to acquiring and marketing independent films across multiple platforms including on-demand, theatrical and home video. Launched in 2010, with strong support from Founding Partner American Express, Tribeca Film will provide independent filmmakers with an integrated national marketing and distribution platform to reach audiences.