Comcast's Xfinity TV is celebrating Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month with a special collection of more than 350 entertainment choices that highlight Asian American and Pacific Islander culture and contributions. The collection includes movies, documentaries and biographies hand-selected by Chi-hui Yang, the curator of Cinema Asian America on Xfinity On Demand. It also includes diverse music, TV shows, anime, trivia and slideshows across Xfinity On Demand, XfinityTV.com, Xfinity TV on Xbox 360 and Xfinity.com.
"Our collection celebrates the richness of the Asian-Pacific American culture on Xfinity TV," said Ruben Mendiola, Vice President and General Manager of Multicultural Video Services, Comcast Cable. "With diverse TV line-ups and special programming, we offer the best multicultural video experience across screens and devices, and we plan to bring our customers even more choices and ways to watch in the coming year."
Highlights of Xfinity TV's Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month collection include:
TV Series, Films, Documentaries and Biographies:
- East of Main Street - HBO is making the TV documentary series available to all Xfinity TV customers on Xfinity On Demand and XfinityTV.com. This series explores the perspectives and lives of Asian-Pacific Americans and profiles notable figures like apl.de.ap from the Black Eyed Peas and chef and restaurateur Anita Lo.
- Aoki - Chronicles the life of Richard Aoki, a third-generation Japanese American and civil rights activist.
- Lt. Watada - This Oscar-nominated film from award-winning filmmaker Freida Lee Mock tells the story of Ehren Watada, a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army, who refused to be deployed to Iraq.
- Ra. One - This Bollywood sci-fi hit stars Shahrukh Khan and Kareena Kapoor and is presented in Hindi with English subtitles.
- Atlas Discovery - Episodes from this TV documentary series include: China Revealed and Japan Revealed, which explore the cultural, sociological and natural aspects of various Asian countries.
Music, Anime, Trivia and Slideshows:
- Music - Including K-Pop with artists like: Girls' Generation, Wonder Girls, Big-Bang, 2NE1, T-ara, SHINee, Super Junior and Cara, along with additional music from Bollywood and Filipino groups.
- Anime - A selection of animated titles from Cartoon Network and Anime Network including Bakugan Battle Brawler, Angel Beats, Infinite Stratos and Book of Bantorra.
- Trivia and Slideshows - Customers can test their knowledge of Asian-Pacific American culture and history, watch slideshows of Asian-Pacific American newsmakers and celebrities and athletes and get descriptions of Asian-Pacific themed films.
Xfinity TV's Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month collection is available to customers during the month of May. Throughout the year, Xfinity TV customers can watch films and documentaries that reflect the diversity of the Asian-Pacific American culture on Xfinity On Demand's Cinema Asian America as well as access viewing suggestions on the Cinema Asian America Facebook page. Xfinity TV also offers Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, South Asian and Vietnamese programming from more than 40 Asian content providers.
Today, Comcast's Xfinity TV is continuing to expand the delivery of Asian-Pacific American programming across its viewing platforms and is supporting the development of new Asian-Pacific American-sourced programming. In the past year, Xfinity TV has expanded the carriage of Mnet, an English language network dedicated to Asian pop culture, adding more than 3 million subscribers, and the entertainment and lifestyle network MYX TV was also recently launched in more than 500,000 Xfinity TV homes in Western Washington.
Comcast has had a longstanding commitment to diversity since its founding nearly 50 years ago and focuses its efforts in four key areas: attracting and retaining a multicultural workforce, developing a diverse supplier group, offering a wide selection of multicultural programming and pledging significant community investments.
About Comcast Cable
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) (www.comcast.com) is one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information and communications products and services. Comcast is principally involved in the operation of cable systems through Comcast Cable and in the development, production and distribution of entertainment, news, sports and other content for global audiences through NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential and business customers. Comcast is the majority owner and manager of NBCUniversal, which owns and operates entertainment and news cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, local television station groups, television production operations, a major motion picture company and theme parks.