Designed to provide video subscribers with access to NBCUniversal's more than 5,535 hours of unprecedented Olympic programming, this offering represents the largest number of total Olympics hours ever. Xfinity TV will offer NBCUniversal's Olympic content live and on-demand, across multiple digital, mobile and tablet platforms, and for the first time ever, the Games will be available in 3D.
"We are excited to bring our Xfinity TV customers NBCUniversal's coverage of every minute of every medal on every screen of the 2012 London Olympics," said Matt Strauss, Senior Vice President, Digital and Emerging Platforms, Comcast Cable. "Through multiplatform Olympic-themed search, tools and personalized features created to help our customers view and experience the events, we are providing a virtual passport to NBCUniversal's comprehensive 2012 London Games programming."
In addition to extensive coverage on the networks of NBCUniversal, including NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and Telemundo, two HD specialty channels for soccer and basketball and a 3D channel, subscribers can stay connected to the London Summer Olympic Games wherever they go exclusively via NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Olympics and NBC Olympics Live Extra apps available to mobile and tablet users.
As part of the vast majority of Xfinity TV customers' video subscriptions, which include all Olympic television content, NBCUniversal is bringing Olympic content to subscribers live and on-demand, online, and on mobile and tablet devices via applications. This additional access to NBCUniversal's Olympic programming extends Xfinity TV customers' opportunities to watch the Games wherever they are.
Following are multiplatform offerings that will allow Xfinity TV customers to watch and be a part of the London 2012 Olympic Games, including live streaming, VOD, mobile and tablet apps and a 3D channel.
NBCUniversal's Olympics Experience on Xfinity Includes:
NBCOlympics.com: NBC Olympics Live Extra, the exclusive home of Olympic live stream content at NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra, is available now to the vast majority of customers who subscribe to the Digital Starter package and sign-in. NBCOlympics.com will live stream more than 3,500 programming hours, including Olympic events and coverage from NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC and Bravo, for the first time ever, so that Xfinity TV customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic coverage live online at no additional charge. Those subscribers who sign in and verify their subscriptions by Friday, July 27 can enter the NBC Olympics Live Extra Sweepstake for a chance to win prizes including a trip to the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, an HDTV, and other prizes, courtesy of NBCUniversal. Xfinity TV customers can also utilize the Xfinity website for the Ultimate Viewer's Guide that gives users easy access to NBCUniversal's live streaming events at NBCOlympics.com.
Xfinity TV customers should follow these verification procedures to access Olympic programming via NBCOlympics.com:
- Go to NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
- Click the "Click Here & Get Ready" button
- Select Comcast
- Enter the username and password that corresponds with your Comcast Xfinity TV account
- You are signed in throughout the Games on that device!
- Comcast Xfinity customers with both video and high-speed Internet service will automatically be verified when in their homes; when out of the home, customers that don't have their account information can easily access that information through their phone numbers and other easy ways.
Additionally, Xfinity.com will offer enhanced TV listing guides with filters to quickly find NBCUniversal's Olympic events and view TV listings in 30-minute programming blocks. Xfinity TV customers can also utilize the Xfinity website to change the channel on live TV or tune to programming on Xfinity On Demand, record events on their DVR, and view the latest news, highlights and schedules. Xfinity.com/latinotv will offer special Spanish-language guides and tools to help users control and manage their Olympic viewing experience.
- Mobile and Tablet Apps: NBCUniversal will offer two apps for mobile and tablet viewing. The NBC Olympics Live Extra app will be available to verified Xfinity TV customers and will offer the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra. Xfinity TV customers can verify their mobile and tablet devices when the NBC Olympics Live Extra App launches in mid-July. The NBC Olympics app will include short-form highlights, schedules, results, columns and more and will also link to the NBC Olympics Live Extra app. In addition, Xfinity TV customers can take advantage of the second screen experience through the Xfinity TV app, on iOS and Android devices, featuring similar tools like Xfinity.com/NBCOlympics - in the convenience of a mobile app. Also, the Xfinity TV Sports Remote app includes similar features as the Xfinity TV app (with the exception of the "Watch" feature), including the ability to sort by Olympic sport on the guide, as well as link to NBCOlympics.com to download both the NBC Olympics and NBC Olympics Live Extra apps.
- On Demand: NBCUniversal is making Olympic highlights and full-event rewinds available via Xfinity TV's Video-On-Demand service. Watch NBCUniversal's more than 1,000 total Olympic pre-Games and in-Game entertainment choices, including all medal events and 240 full event replays, as well as Bob Costas' daily recaps and highlights from the Games.
- 3D: Panasonic Corporation of North America and the NBC Sports Group have partnered to make the London 2012 Olympic Games available in 3D to Xfinity TV customers. The effort will produce 242 hours of coverage and mark the first time that the Olympic Games will be distributed in the U.S. in 3D. The 3D broadcasts will be shown on next-day delay and will span multiple competitions throughout the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games.
- Specialty Channels: Dedicated 24/7 basketball and soccer channels are available to Xfinity TV customers, and will total 770 hours of NBC's HD coverage. Additionally, all men's soccer matches and Team USA women's soccer matches will be available in Spanish via SAP.
The 2012 London Olympic Summer Games will run throughout 19 unforgettable days and nights, covering every sport, medal, champion and riveting moment. For more information, visit www.NBCOlympics.com or www.xfinity.com/nbcolympics.
About NBC Olympics
A division of the NBC Sports Group, NBC Olympics is responsible for producing, programming and promoting NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage. It is renowned for its unsurpassed Olympic heritage, award-winning production, and ability to aggregate the largest audiences in U.S. television history.
Having produced every Summer Olympics since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002, the networks of NBCUniversal are synonymous with the Games in the United States. In 2011, NBCUniversal acquired the U.S. media rights on all platforms to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, and the 2020 Summer Olympics. At the conclusion of the 2020 Games, NBCUniversal will have presented 17 total Olympic Games and 11 consecutive, the most for a U.S. media company in both categories.
NBC has won an unprecedented 91 Emmy Awards for its Olympics coverage, as well as a prestigious Peabody Award for its presentation of the Beijing Opening Ceremony in 2008, which USA Today said was "the best overall Olympic experience ever provided by a U.S. network."
In addition to its unsurpassed heritage and award-winning production, NBCUniversal is known for aggregating large Olympic audiences, as nine of the top 11 most-watched U.S. television events of all time are Olympic Games presented across the networks of NBCUniversal. The Beijing Summer Olympics rank No. 1 with 215 million viewers.
About Comcast Cable
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) (www.comcast.com) is one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information and communications products and services. Comcast is principally involved in the operation of cable systems through Comcast Cable and in the development, production and distribution of entertainment, news, sports and other content for global audiences through NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential and business customers. Comcast is the majority owner and manager of NBCUniversal, which owns and operates entertainment and news cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, local television station groups, television production operations, a major motion picture company and theme parks.